Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: STK500 version 2.0 protocol

From: Erik Walthinsen
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: STK500 version 2.0 protocol
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:00:53 -0800

Brian Dean wrote:
That's what I was thinking.  First try to get in sync and read back
the firmware revision information using V2 protocol.  If that doesn't
work, try reading it using the V1 protocol method.  Whichever one
works, set the function pointers appropriately.
Can someone with more knowledge of the avrdude top-level code comment on the potential complications of having the stk500 code switch itself out mid-stream for stk500v2? Is it something that can just be done by calling stk500v2_initpgm() from the middle of stk500_open() without any further complications? It appears so, as stk500_open() doesn't allocate any stk500-specific structures, so all the functions are totally standalone.

I don't much care for having to specify two programmer entries in the
config file.  Most folks only know they have an STK500.  Having to
specify stk500v2 (or stk500v1) depending on which firmware you have I
think would be kind've a pain.
Definitely.