Re: [avrdude-dev] Documentation build tools requirements

From: Rob Brown
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Documentation build tools requirements
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 10:25:15 +0000

Hello,

I will admit to being a "noob" and had quite a few problems installing avrdude because Tex wasn't right.

On Mac OS X many people use Fink to install things. The version of Tex from Fink didn't work correctly when make-ing avrdude. Fink also installs tons of unnecessary stuff alongside Tex. The solution was to install "texi2html" manually from the version at the Darwin project.

So on balance I would rather see the documentation from the install be slimmed down. Fink is good for many things, but not for installing the avr-toolchain.

Since this my first post here, I would like to say it's excellent to be doing some embedded software on Mac OS X.

R.B.

Many projects confine the large-scale documents to only be
built when the tools are available. This can be checked
in configure.ac and flags set. Additionally, they often
only do those docs with "make docs/dvi/ps/pdf/info".

I'd hate to see detail lost just because a few noobs can't
install the right packages.