[avrdude-dev] Documentation build tools requirements - many complaints

From: Brian Dean
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Documentation build tools requirements - many complaints
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 19:19:29 -0500

Hi,

Would folks here object too loudly if we trimmed down the
documentation of AVRDUDE to just the Unix man page?  The reason I ask
is that many folks have trouble building avrdude from source.  Nearly
all the problems boil down to building the docs.  The program itself
is quite simple with few non-standard dependencies, but the
documentation requires a TeX distribution of some sort which is quite
heavy weight.

Does Windows support Unix man pages?  All other of our platforms do,
and the man format is quite lightweight.  I would prefer that we move
essential documentation to just the man page.  AVRDUDE is not a very
complex program, after all.

Any thoughts or comments?

-Brian
--
Brian Dean
BDMICRO - ATmega128 Based MAVRIC Controllers