Re: [avrdude-dev] Safemode - oops

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Safemode - oops
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 07:38:57 -0700

Brian Dean wrote:

Hi,

Before we release, I propose we make avrdude return a non-zero error
condition if any fuse bits are being requested to change, but the -u
option is not specified.  We already print out a warning, but since my
process is automated and I rely on the avrdude return code to know
whether all the requested operations succeeded, I did not see the
text.  I'm guessing I will not be the only one that runs into this.

I'm thinking of something like the attached patch.  It will return
non-zero if all of the following are true:

    1) -u is not specified

    2) fuses are specified to be programed

    3) fuses are actually changed (different from when avrdude was started)

    4) safe-mode restores the fuses back to their default values

Thus, the idea is to return non-zero when an action is requested but
is not performed.

Any thoughts on this?

Looks good to me. Would you be willing to commit this?

Eric