Re: [avrdude-dev] How about changing the "stk500" programmer to V2 by de

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] How about changing the "stk500" programmer to V2 by default?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 00:40:57 +0200

As Matthias Ringwald wrote:

> changing the default meaning of stk500 to refer to v2 is fine to me,
> as long as there is maintainable way to specify v1 somehow.  so this
> changes looks problematic to me.

I've now created a "stk500generic" (internal name in AVRDUDE, it's
mapped into the -c stk500 programmer type) programmer which is
actually a stub programmer: it only has an open() function, and
subsequently tries to open the device specified as stk500v1 first,
failing that as stk500v2.  (The timeouts in the stk500v1 protocol
implementation are much shorter than those in the stk500v2 one, so
doing it the other way around would take an eternity for stk500v1
programmers to establish the connection.)  That way, a connection will
be established regardless of the actual firmware version.  If one of
both protocol versions could successfully establish communication, a
message is printed that suggests the user would better use either -c
stk500v1 or -c stk500v2, and the remaining communication is left to
the acutal protocol version-specific module then.

I hope that solution satisifies everyone.