Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude >= 5.4, butterfly protocol and byte mode devic

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude >= 5.4, butterfly protocol and byte mode devices
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 22:59:06 +0100

As Jens Wilhelm Wulf wrote:

> avrdude refuses to use block mode because of
>
>     if (pgm->paged_write != NULL && m->page_size != 0) {
>                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> this condition, which is necessary in avr.c, avr_write() and avr_read().

Well, if you can prove that any existing AVR910 could handle block
mode even for target AVRs that cannot handle page mode, we can remove
this.  So far, the term is "paged_write", rather than "block_write",
which indicates that it will program an entire page.  Obviously, this
does not make sense if the device does not implement page writes at
all.

Note that butterfly (aka. AVR109) should not have any issue with that
because as far as I know, and device that is able to self-program does
also offer page write capabilities.