Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude >= 5.4, butterfly protocol and byte mode devic

From: www.mikrocontroller-projekte.de
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude >= 5.4, butterfly protocol and byte mode devices
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 10:53:57 +0100

Joerg Wunsch schrieb:
As Jens Wilhelm Wulf wrote:

avrdude refuses to use block mode because of
    if (pgm->paged_write != NULL && m->page_size != 0) {
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this condition, which is necessary in avr.c, avr_write() and avr_read().

Well, if you can prove that any existing AVR910 could handle block
mode even for target AVRs that cannot handle page mode, we can remove
this.  So far, the term is "paged_write", rather than "block_write",
which indicates that it will program an entire page.  Obviously, this
does not make sense if the device does not implement page writes at
all.
I just checked this out with AVRprog.exe and this is what AVRprog.exe does: the received blocksize is set to the pagesize and AVRprog.exe sends the Bytes in #blocksize packages, ragardless what device is selected. This is also true for avr109, as this is the way where the bootloader tells AVRprog.exe what pagesize the target has. So I'm sure we can remove this "double check" if it has no implications to other programmers then avr910/avr109/butterfly.

If one avr910 programmer whould have a different implementation, the blockmode can be overwritten with the -x no_blockmode. But this is very unlikely as I expect all avr910 programmers are working with AVRprog.exe.

Kind Regards,
Klaus