Re: [avrdude-dev] support for bitbanging GPIO lines through /sys/class/g

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] support for bitbanging GPIO lines through /sys/class/gpio
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 23:17:26 +0200

As Radoslav Kolev wrote:

> I have added support for using GPIO lines as a programmer. Many SOCs
> have GPIO lines and the standard way to use them from userpace is
> through the sysfs gpio interface, so this should be quite universal,
> even if a bit slow.

Well, "quite universal" is a quite relative term here.

Did you consider that AVRDUDE runs on (at least) Win32, Linux, MacOS
X, Solaris and FreeBSD operating systems?  How many of these do
implement a sysfs gpio interface?

In other words, what will be gained by adding this patch, even if it
is (which I assume -- you didn't tell) Linux-only?  Are there any
advantages over the existing implementations, in particular in the
light of most recent PC hardware configurations not offering any IO
port that could be bit-banged directly (like a classical printer
port)?

Also, the best way to submit patches is through the patch tracker
interface.  Patches submitted by email tend to get lost once the
discussion about them faded away.