[avrdude-dev] Hacking avrdude to add a new bit-banging programming mecha

From: Gordon Henderson
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Hacking avrdude to add a new bit-banging programming mechanism..
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 19:17:01 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

I have a system which runs Linux, and has GPIO pins available. I want to use it to program an ATmega168/328 chip.

If my system has a C library with the following Arduino style functions available to it:

 pinMode ()
 digitalWrite ()
 digitalRead ()

along with

  pullUpDnControl ()

which can enable pull-ups, pull-downs or tristate...

... then given 4 spare GPIO pins, how hard will it be to knock up a new bit banging programmer module for avrdude?

Accomplished C programmer here and I'm looking at the source, but really not sure where to start...

Thanks,

Gordon