Re: [avrdude-dev] Hacking avrdude to add a new bit-banging programming m

From: Gordon Henderson
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Hacking avrdude to add a new bit-banging programming mechanism..
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:27:03 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

As Gordon Henderson wrote:

I've not checked to see if these patches are in later versions, but if
not, then do consider them for inclusion!

Due to many recent changes, the patch no longer applies in any way:

% patch -p1 < /tmp/avrdude-5.10-bb-gpio.patch
patching file ac_cfg.h.in
patching file avrdude.conf.in
patching file config_gram.y
Hunk #1 FAILED at 39.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 100.
Hunk #3 succeeded at 622 with fuzz 2 (offset 183 lines).
2 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file config_gram.y.rej
patching file configure.ac
Hunk #2 FAILED at 339.
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file configure.ac.rej
patching file gpio.c
patching file gpio.h
patching file lexer.l
Hunk #1 FAILED at 146.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file lexer.l.rej
patching file Makefile.am
Hunk #1 FAILED at 101.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file Makefile.am.rej

We've already been discussing this.  If the patch is made work with
the current SVN tree, and accompanied by documentation patches, I
promised to include it.

OK. If I have time I'll have a look, but it won't be for a week, maybe 2.

FWIW: I'm working on a little board to go with the Raspberry Pi and it's working very well now - I can use avrdude on the Pi to program up an ATmega on my board using 4 of it's GPIO pins using the bit-banging GPIO programmer. I initially looked at using the Pi's serial port, and that worked OK via the Arduino IDE (using one of the Pis GPIO lines to reset the ATmega), however since it's all running at 3.3v, the max clock on the ATmega is 12MHz, so the standard arduino bootloaders needed recompiling to work at that speed - which I did and tested, but then there's the hassles of burning the bootloader (hole in bucket syndrome :)

My plan now is to apply the patch to the Debian version of avrdude (happens to be 5.10 too), then build a new debian package of avrdude to run on the Pi which will integrate nicely with the Arduino IDE (which I don't personally use, but I hear it's quite popular!)

Thanks again,

Gordon