[Axiom-developer] Handling of autoload messages in TeXmacs

From: Dylan Thurston
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Handling of autoload messages in TeXmacs
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:42:38 -0400

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 10:57:05AM +0200, David MENTRE wrote:
> > Maybe the Loading ... messages should be sent to stderr rather
> > than stdout?
>
> This approach would raise other issues. It would complicate the build
> process if you want all messages output by Axiom.

I don't understand this objection.  The build process for what?

> Moreover, it might be necessary to have autoload messages (and other
> information messages) under TeXmacs if it becomes the default Axiom user
> interface. The more I think about it, the more I think we should keep
> Axiom output as much unaltered as possible: keep all Axiom prompt, just
> remove prompt number and typeset mathematical output.

I agree that autoload messages should be made available to the user.
Can't TeXmacs grap the stderr output as well?  They could go in another
buffer, for instance.

The intended use of stderr is for adminstrative messages like this.
It's easy to either (a) combine the two streams or (b) do something
special with the stderr output.

Peace,
        Dylan