[Axiom-developer] Re: axiom shell script

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: axiom shell script
Date: 24 Feb 2004 13:12:21 -0500

Greetings!  Its exceedingly simple, hopefully not embarrassingly so:

#!/bin/bash

export AXIOM=/usr/lib/axiom-0.20040128
export PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH
exec $AXIOM/bin/AXIOMsys

Tim Daly  <address@hidden> writes:

> Can you back-port the axiom shell script you use in the axiom CVS?
> Or send it to me and I'll merge it in.
>
> Just out of curiousity why "/usr/lib"? I'd have expected "/usr/local"
> (or /opt if we were to actually read the LSB spec :-) ).

Well, I can tell that we're perhaps not quite square with the
following, but the idea is this section of the FHS:

/usr/lib : Libraries for programming and packages
Purpose

/usr/lib includes object files, libraries, and internal binaries that
are not intended to be executed directly by users or shell
scripts. [22]

Applications may use a single subdirectory under /usr/lib. If an
application uses a subdirectory, all architecture-dependent data
exclusively used by the application must be placed within that
subdirectory. [23]

/usr/lib is common Debian practice for arch-dependent modules and
binaries not customarily invoked directly by the user.  /opt certainly
also seems like a possibility, but I've yet to find a Debian package
using it.  Perhaps I can find time to investigate this further.

Take care,