Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: [Aldor-l] Ann: ALLPROSE / Suggestions

From: Peter Broadbery
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: [Aldor-l] Ann: ALLPROSE / Suggestions
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 20:22:07 +0000

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 12:27 -0500, Page, Bill wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 16, 2005 7:53 AM Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
> >
> > Martin Rubey wrote:
> >
> > > * it would be very useful - if not necessary - if you
> > >   provided a one page summary on how to use ALLPROSE for
> > >   the average A{ldor,xiom} programmer, separate from the
> > >   complete 225 pages documentation.
> >  on my wish list.

[Allprose snipped - not had time to look at it]

> This functionality of using the +++ comments is built-in to
> Axiom's database (daase) and used by the HyperDoc browser, the
> standalone 'asq' utility and accessed by commands such as )show
> )what and )display in the interpreter. I haven't checked yet
> whether this holds true for the +++ comments embedded in Aldor
> extension for Axiom library programming, but if it is not, then
> perhaps Peter Broadbery could help to make sure that this bridge
> exists.

In theory it ought to. The .asy symbol file loaded by the interpreter
contains the +++ documentation strings, and these are read by the )lib
command, and passed into the runtime type database.  However, I'm not
sure quite how they get into the hyperdoc world.

What should work is that if you can get axiom to display the
documentation for a newly compiled .spad domain, then you should be able
to see the docs for an aldor domain.  However, I can't recall how to do
the 1st part, so if someone can show me how to do that, I may take a
look.  (apologies, but I'm a bit streched for time at the moment).

Ideally, +++ comments should be spilled out by something into a lovely
HTMLised piece of documentation, but this would require aldor sources
and some amount of work.

Peter