RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: Local MathAction

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: Local MathAction
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 01:47:16 -0500

Martin,

On December 18, 2005 11:39 PM I wrote:

> I thought a little more about your request and I also saw that
> planetmath.org does offer a "static snapshot" download based
> on wget. Is this what you meant? If so, you can create such a
> snapshot via the command:
>   wget -m -k -K -E http://wiki.axiom-developer.org
>
> For more information see the wget documentation (man wget
> or http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/manual/wget.html)
>
> But you should note that this could take a very long time
> depending on the speed of your internet connection!
>
> If this format is what you mean by "snapshot" and you do think
> that this would be useful, then we can do the same thing as is
> done on planetmath - create a compressed tarball, say once per
> week, and provide a link for people to download it. But even
> compressed this is likely to be quite large - my guess: about
> 250 Mbytes. I will let you know once my current download
> completes and I create the actual compressed file.

Running locally on the axiom-developer.org server (no network
delays), the above wget command took about 2 hours to complete!

The tarball turns out to be 197.7 Mbytes - about a 40 minute
download at 80 KB/sec. You can download it here:

http://page.axiom-developer.org/axiom-snapshot.tar.gz

Use

 % mkdir snapshot
 % cd snapshot
 % tar xzf axiom-snapshot.tar.gz

to expand the archive into a convenient directory, e.g. snapshot

Then use a browser to access the local file:

  .../snapshot/wiki.axiom-developer.org/FrontPage.html

Most of the links have been converted to local links. The
exceptions are things that produce dynamic results such as
search, edit, etc. These still link to the Axiom Wiki.

Please let me know if you think this might be useful. If it
is, then we can provide a link on the wiki to download it
and I can also arrange to have it updated once per week.