Re: [Axiom-developer] Preferred SCM

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Preferred SCM
Date: 07 Feb 2006 15:32:25 +0100

David MENTRE <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| I think I have the same requirements as Axiom (efficiency, Windows
| availability, decentralized if possible) and my short list is
| Mercurial, Subversion and SVK. Interestingly, SVK seems to be a good
| compromise between Subversion and Arch: it works in a decentralized
| manner as Arch (with apparently the same merge algorithms) but it is
| compatible with de-facto standard Subversion and can works daily with
| svn repositories. For interested people, see relevant thread:
|   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.politics.organizations.demexp.devel/785
|
| It might become of topic for this list but I would be interested about
| real SCM experiments. I already know about Subversion (I'm using it at
| work, under Windows) and Arch.

SVN is the official SCM for GCC; but I (and many other GCC developers)
use SVK.  The reason I use SVK is that it seems to have a better
filesystem to minimize disk space consumption, and it has been
improved recently to be "fast" as well.  If you're going to crete lot
of branches for experimentations then SVK is probably a good choice.
The only irritating I find about it is its inability to use
traditional diff (yes, you have to configure it to use external diff
and all that.)
There is a tool to convert CVS repository to SVN, if one ever wanted
to keep the CVS history around.

-- Gaby