Re: [Axiom-developer] Preferred SCM

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Preferred SCM
Date: 07 Feb 2006 02:54:54 +0100

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

| I hope Axiom stays with GNU arch. In particular, in the future we
| could more and more exploit the "multiple archives" feature and the
| "star-merge".
|
| I am relatively new to Arch, but after reading about it and about Subversion.
I think GNU Arch is more powerful even if it lacks nice GUIs. (BTW there is
xtla for emacs http://wiki.gnuarch.org/xtla --
| unfortunately I haven't had time to install it properly.)
|
| I particular "star-merge" sounded quite nice to me. (And that is
| missing in SVN.)

Similar debate had popped recently for GCC -- which used to use CVS
since at least EGCS days.  We finally decided to move to SVN.  It was
painful for some of us -- especially due to specific demands of GCC (a
special SVN 1.3 release candidate had been made available).

After a while, the dust set down.  I operate most of the time remotely
behind a terminal -- so no gui fancy things.  With other projects, I
continue to use CVS.  I think if Axiom decided to move to SVN, that
will be a good move.  For me, arch is a "curiosity", in the sense that
Axiom is the only project that "requires"  me ("require" is not the right
term, as I also have the CVS tree right here) to use it.

-- Gaby