Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: ASDF and ./configure

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: ASDF and ./configure
Date: 24 Feb 2006 16:41:34 +0100

root <address@hidden> writes:

| > To a very large extent, it is less important to recognize Fedora Core 3
| > (yes, that is what the current ./configure script does, but that is
| > wrong).  It is far more important to recognize *available*
|
| Actually, the Axiom build scripts work on the platforms where it has
| already been successfully ported with one major exception. The issue
| that arises is SELinux which breaks the GCL builds.
|
| So we need the configure script to recognize the SELinux configuration
| on FC3, FC4, and FC5 and then output appropriate "instructions" to
| adapt to the situation.
|
| I have not seen anything in autoconf that checks these conditions.

Hello Tim,

  Autoconf is a set of *extensible* macros.  Not just because it does
not contain macro to test a particular "new" feature means it should
be thrown away altogether with other useful functionalities.  SELinux is
not just a Fedora Core thingy, it applies as well to SuSE Linux and
any other linux distribution that comply to SELinux.  I hope to take
on the configure issue as soon as my immediate horizon is cleared, so
that we can conduct the discussion in less abstract terms.

-- Gaby