Re: ASDF and ./configure (was: Re: [Axiom-developer] Hyper doc search er

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: ASDF and ./configure (was: Re: [Axiom-developer] Hyper doc search error)
Date: 21 Feb 2006 20:59:21 +0100

"David MENTRE" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| > But a "rewrite the world" solution is likely to get a lot of pushback.
| > Propose something and we can all comment on it.
|
| Sure, I'm reading Bill's posts. ;-) I think a hand-written ./configure
| is the way to go, contrary to Bill's idea of using autoconf.

I share Bill's idea.  Having a configure script generated from autoconf
does not mean we can't have our own say -- one can include custom
variations in configure.ac or aclocal.m4.  My guess is that a hand written
configure will try to approximate standard, widely-tested, Autoconf
functionalities with the burden of maintainance on Axiom instead of
the porting community which is already doing the work.  That does not
sound right ot me.  I have a good experience with Autoconf and large
systems, I appreciate the pecularities of Axiom but I don't think
Autoconf is antagonistic to Axiom requirements.  Furtheremore, I don't
believe Autoconf is a C-only solution -- but hey, it is true that I've
developped more with C-family languages than lisp :-)

| I'll make
| my own proposal and then the Axiom Community will decide.

:-)

-- Gaby