Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom and commercial success

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom and commercial success
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:38:17 -0700 (PDT)

--- Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> wrote:

> root <address@hidden> writes:
> | I encourage you to raise your eyes to the horizon and ignore the
> | rocky road under your feet.

I think the SPAD vs. Aldor question is probably the single biggest rock
at the moment.  I am very glad indeed to hear there is work on this
being done behind the scenes.

May I suggest as a constructive focus for current work that some of us
start to check out the SPAD compiler as a unit of the code and see what
might be done to start updating/polishing/figuring it out?  For myself
I couldn't even identify at the moment which parts of the code contain
the SPAD compiling system or how integrated they are with other parts
of the system.  I assume other folks have better knowledge of this, but
if we have a concrete task we can focus on it might help get this
moving in the right direction.  Gabriel, since you're working on some
of this already can you suggest constructive work that those less
skilled in the compiler arts might do to help you?  One thing which I
might be able to do something with - since there is a cmucl port out
there presumably part of that work must have gotten SPAD -> lisp
translation working on a more or less ANSI system - would figuring out
what those changes were and getting that work into the silver branch be
of some help?  Or is that kind of orthogonal to the main direction?

I don't have all that much time available, and less compiler skill, but
I would like to be able to do something more constructive and helpful
than writing emails :-).

Cheers,
CY