[Axiom-developer] RE: [M#73697383] Re: Disk-quota Request

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: [M#73697383] Re: Disk-quota Request
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 23:17:41 -0400

Ben,

On September 30, 2006 6:22 PM you wrote:

> On 9/30/06, Bill Page wrote:
>
> > The complete svn repository on SourceForge is only 233,248 Kb.
> > It should have fit on Google!
>
> Google Guy Here.  :-)

Thank you very much for your reply and your suggestion below.

> Can you do me a favor?  Can you try using svk to 'push' your
> repository to some other local repository (in the same way you're
> pushing it at google)?  Then verify that the target (replicated)
> repository is indeed the same size as the original?

First I created a local backup copy of our SourceForge repository:

  $export RSYNC_PROXY=rsync-svn.sourceforge.net:80
  $mkdir -p ~/test0
  $rsync -v -a rsync-svn-a::svn/axiom/* ~/test0

(This took less that 10 minutes.)

This copy of the repository is 167,364 Kb. Apparently the size of
233,248 Kb that I quoted above was incorrect. Sorry.

  $ du -s /home/page/test0
  167364  /home/page/test0

Then I ran the following test to simulate what I was trying to
do to Google:

  $svnadmin create /home/page/test
  $svk mirror  /mirror/axiom https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/axiom
  $svk mirror /mirror/test file:///home/page/test
  $svk smerge --baseless --incremental --verbatim --remoterev /mirror/axiom
/mirror/test

(This took about 15 minutes on axiom-developer.org.)

Note: I did not use file://home/page/test0 as the source because if
both repositories are local svk uses a short-cut to do the smerge.

> I *suspect* there's a bug in the quota-tracking code at google,
> and if so, it's my fault.  I may need to investigate ASAP!

No. You are "off the hook" :-)

The size of the resulting repository is 326,332 Kb.

$ ls /home/page/test1
conf  dav  db  format  hooks  locks  README.txt
$ du -s /home/page/test1
326332  /home/page/test

This is nearly twice as large as the original!

So this confirms that 'svk smerge' does not re-create the repository
in the same compact form in which it exists on SourceForge. :-(