RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 09:36:50 -0500

On November 2, 2006 9:22 AM you wrote:
> Bill Page wrote:
> >
> > Here is a recipe that seems to work for me and avoids reference
> > to fink or other non-gcl related libraries:
> >
> >  $ export
> >  $ make clean
> >  $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-locbfd
> --disable-statsysbfd
> >  $ make
> >  $ make install
> >
> locbfd should be the default on macosx, as we have Aurelien's specific
> mods for .o file loading.

Something subtle is still not right about this. If I omit --enable-locbfd
from the .configure then I get problems later gettext (unless gettext
is already installed elsewhere).

But worse is this:

 $ export

Something is strange about the way that gcl links to libintl.
On MAC OS if I do not include LIBRARY_PATH and if libintl is
not in the system default path, then building gcl fails.

If I do include the 'export LIBRARY_PATH ..." then the build
succeeds but loading this library is "dynamic". This causes
trouble later if I try to use gcl to build Axiom without first
setting LIBRARY_PATH. Isn't there some way to force the MAC
to static link this library?

> Extending this default to the intel should
> resolve the -lintl 'out of the box'.  This said, I'd be quite
> (pleasantly) surprised if Aurelien's code works as is on intel.
> BTW, out of town till Sunday.

Have a good trip! :-)

Bill Page.