RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 22:04:13 -0500

On November 2, 2006 2:28 PM Tim Daly wrote:

> Bill Page wrote:
>
> > Please download the new binary for AXIOMsys on MAC OSX PowerPC from:
> >
> > http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/public/AXIOMsys-ppc-20061102.tgz
>
> Error: Cannot open the file
> /home/users/b/bi/billpage/asx/axiom.build-improvements/target/
> powerpc-apple-darwin6/algebra/compress.daase

I assume this error was spurious?

On November 2, 2006 2:30 PM Tim Daly wrote:

> chdir /tmp/powerpc-apple-darwin6
> export AXIOM=`pwd`
> cd bin
> ./AXIOMsys
>
> starts ok, loads databases, but typing 1 at the axiom prompt hangs.

Very odd. :-(

On November 2, 2006 2:36 PM Tim Daly wrote:

> chdir /tmp/powerpc-apple-darwin6
> export AXIOM=`pwd`
> cd bin
> ./AXIOMsys
>
> -> )set mes auto on
>
> Error: The variable BLOCK is unbound
> >> :bt
> #0   APPLY (loc0=#<compiled-function
> system:universal-error-handler>,loc1=:unbound-variable...} [ihs=7]
> #1   APPLY (loc0=#<compiled-function
> system:universal-error-handler>,loc1=:unbound-variable...} [ihs=6]
> Error: NIL is an illegal ihs index
>
> Error signalled by SYSTEM::DBL-BACKTRACE
> Backtrace: system:univeral-error-handler > system::break-call
> > system::dbl-backtrace -> system:ihs-fun > lambda >
> lambda-closure > block > apply > APPLY

This looks like a Lisp problem, but on the SourceForge compile
farm MAC OSX server where I compiled this binary I get:

---------

Welcome to SF.net Compile Farm - OSX X-Serve, provided by Apple
OS X Version 10.2.x

ppc-osx3:~/osx $ export `pwd`/local/powerpc-apple-darwin6.8
bash: export: `/home/users/b/bi/billpage/osx/local/powerpc-apple-darwin6.8':
not a valid identifier
ppc-osx3:~/osx $ export AXIOM=`pwd`/local/powerpc-apple-darwin6.8
ppc-osx3:~/osx $ export PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH
ppc-osx3:~/osx $ AXIOMsys

GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.8 CLtL1    Nov  1 2006 17:41:53
Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd,xgcl)
Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (BFD UNEXEC)
Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter

Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.
Temporary directory for compiler files set to /tmp/
                        AXIOM Computer Algebra System
          Version: Axiom (build improvements branch) -- 2006-10-10
              Timestamp: Thursday November 2, 2006 at 10:29:25
-
   Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
   Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
   Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.
-

   Re-reading compress.daase   Re-reading interp.daase
   Re-reading operation.daase
   Re-reading category.daase
   Re-reading browse.daase
(1) -> )set mes auto on
(1) -> 1

   (1)  1
                                                        Type:
PositiveInteger
(2) -> 1+1

   (2)  2
                                                        Type:
PositiveInteger
(3) -> )quit
   Please enter y or yes if you really want to leave the interactive
      environment and return to the operating system:
yes
ppc-osx3:~/osx $ exit

--------

On November 2, 2006 3:08 PM Humberto Ortiz Zuazaga wrote:

> Bill Page wrote:
> >
> > Please download the new binary for AXIOMsys on MAC OSX PowerPC from:
> >
> > http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/public/AXIOMsys-ppc-20061102.tgz
>
> Testing on PowerPC Mac OS X 10.4.8:
>
> $ export AXIOM=/tmp/axiom/powerpc-apple-darwin6.8
> $ export PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH
> $ AXIOMsys
> GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.8 CLtL1    Nov  1 2006 17:41:53
> Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd,xgcl)
> Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (BFD UNEXEC)
> Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a
> compatible license
> Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter
>
> Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.
> Temporary directory for compiler files set to /tmp/
>                          AXIOM Computer Algebra System
>            Version: Axiom (build improvements branch) -- 2006-10-10
>                Timestamp: Thursday November 2, 2006 at 10:29:25
>     Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
>     Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
>     Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.
>
>     Re-reading compress.daase   Re-reading interp.daase
>     Re-reading operation.daase
>     Re-reading category.daase
>     Re-reading browse.daase
> Illegal instruction

I would like to be able to explain the differences between Tim
Daly's results above and this one. Could you both please provide
detailed information about the computer hardware and operating
system? What cpu? What version of OSX?

On November 2, 2006 4:37 PM Raymond Manzoni wrote:

>       I got this time on my OSX 10.4.8 PPC :
>
> $ AXIOMsys
> GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.8 CLtL1    Nov  1 2006 17:41:53
> Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd,xgcl)
> Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (BFD UNEXEC)
> Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a
> compatible license
> Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter
>
> Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.
> Temporary directory for compiler files set to /tmp/
>                          AXIOM Computer Algebra System
>            Version: Axiom (build improvements branch) -- 2006-10-10
>                Timestamp: Thursday November 2, 2006 at 10:29:25
>     Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
>     Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
>     Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.
>     Re-reading compress.daase   Re-reading interp.daase
>     Re-reading operation.daase
>     Re-reading category.daase
>     Re-reading browse.daase
> Illegal instruction

Hmmm... at least that is consistent with Humberto's results. :-(

Can you give me any more specific information about the cpu?
Can you suggest some command that I can give to the SourceForge
compile farm OSX system that I am using that will give equivalent
information for comparison?

>       I tried to launch it with gdb (my first use of gdb...) and got :
> (gdb) run
>     Re-reading browse.daase
>
> Program received signal EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION, Illegal instruction/
> operand.
> 0x00de9c44 in socket_mask ()
> (gdb) up
> #1  0x00de9c44 in socket_mask ()
> (gdb) up
> Previous frame identical to this frame (corrupt stack?)

If we compile gcl with the .configure option --enable-debug, then
we can get a more detailed traceback that Camm Maguire (gcl
developer) should be able to use to help diagnose the problem.

>       The CrashReporter (Library/Logs/AXIOMsys.crash.log
> file) reported :
>
> Host Name:      Raym
> Date/Time:      2006-11-02 21:54:40.899 +0100
> OS Version:     10.4.8 (Build 8L127)
> Report Version: 4
>
> Command: AXIOMsys
> Parent:  bash [244]
>
> Version: ??? (???)
>
> PID:    247
>
> Exception:  EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (0x0002)
> Code[0]:    0x00000002
> Code[1]:    0x00de9c44
>
>       Looks as if it tried to execute the instruction
> '0x00000002'  called
> by 0x00de9c44 (socket_mask?)... not too good...
>
>       Ready for more tests,

At this point I am not sure exactly what to do.

First I suppose I should start this all over again using the
newest version of gcl-2.6.8pre from cvs. This version has a
new (better) treatment of the llibintl problem.

Second, I will build gcl with --enable-debug

Third I will re-build Axiom start with the most recent source
in build-improvements. The source I used to build the current
Axiom binary for MAC is based on build-improvements as of a
couple of weeks ago plus local patches I thought I needed as
I tried to get this to work.

I will let you know when I have another binary. It will probably
not be before the weekend. Maybe someone else with there hands
directly on a MAC would like also to give this a try? If so I
recommend pulling the most recent sources from the build-
improvements branch on SourceForge. If anyone needs help with
this, just ask.

Thanks for all your help.