Re: [Axiom-developer] Ping: file removals

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Ping: file removals
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 19:41:33 +0100 (CET)

> > | files created during build process, but version from repo is referenced
> > | form Makefiles ('src/algebra/libdb.text' is unused in build-improvements):
> > |  src/algebra/libdb.text
> > |  src/hyper/pages/ht.db
> > |  src/share/algebra/gloss.text
> >
> > those "clearly" are bugs.  We should reference those created during
> > the build process.  And those from repo should go away.
>
> exact memory fails me but i believe the libdt.text might contain
> the command completion list of clef. the fact that it is not currently
> used might be that i never got around to connecting it.

libdt.text contains information about constructors.  We create
up-to date version, but gold/silver do not install it.  See:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2006-10/msg00549.html

for a patch.

> gloss.text is supposed to be an automated glossary for the original
> axiom book. i don't believe i ever picked that up when i recreated
> the book.

AFAICS gloss.text contains identical information as the glossary
section of axiom book -- so one can be generated for the other
(I would prefer to generate 'gloss.text' from the book).
I wrote that 'gloss.text' was generated -- I was wrong, 'gloss.text'
was just copied around. 'gloss.text' is unused, but
there is code which could generate 'glosskey.text', 'gloss.ht'
and 'glossdef.text' from it.  ATM I withdraw proposal to remove
'gloss.text' (will investigate this further).

> there is another bit of functionality to recover. axiom had a
> 'javadoc' functionality which creates per-domain/cat/pkg documentation
> in single page format. i have a printed pile containing such info.
> unfortunately the command to create it only ran on the mainframe
> so i can find no surviving record of the code.

If you install fresly build 'libdb.txt', then this functionality
works.

> ulitmately these files had some purpose in the system which might
> still remain to be recovered. removing them won't hurt anything but
> it might be interesting to investigate why they exist.

with the exception of 'gloss.text' the files in first and second
group are generated during build and have known purpose.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden