Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and latex

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and latex
Date: 08 Nov 2006 03:39:47 +0100

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

| >> Underscores would be no problem at all if filenames where
| >> properly tagged. Note that there is a latex package called url
| >> (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/misc/url.sty) which provides a \path
| >> command. Together with hyperref one can turn that also into
| >> hyperlinks.
|
| > I like this idea but I think it might need more thought. How do
| > we want to present this large collection of Axiom documentation
| > files to a user? How will they navigate? How will this interact,
| > or will it interact with hyperdoc? Will they be searchable? What
| > is better, dvi or pdf? Etc.
|
| I have a simple suggestion. Forget the Axiom user for a moment. First
| we need to have good documentation for developers. A user probably

I care a lot about users.  I have no chance of attracting a developer
if I cannot first get him as a user.

| cares mose about the "algebra" subdirectory. I don't care too much
| about interaction with hyperdoc and such. The current pamphlet -> dvi
| way also does not involve hyperdoc.
|
| My dream would be to have for each bigger unit one document (which is
| .dvi, .pdf or .html -- you have already seen in ALLPROSE that it is
| not so hard to generate different output formats). By "bigger unit" I
| approximately mean the subdirectories in src. Such a document would be
| similar to the ALLPROSE stuff -- hyperlinks here and there.
|
| The question is whether other Axiom developers would like it or
| whether there are other suggestions we could agree upon. It's a lot of
| effort after all. And before I invest time there I would rather like
| to know in advance what other peoples dreams are. So that I don't have
| to throw away my stuff in the end.

I very much like hyperlinks pointing to sections in other files.
I really disliuke duplicating documentation for no good reasons.
But, I don't know what ALLPROSE looks like in practice (sorry, I
cannot do everything...)

-- Gaby