RE: [Axiom-developer] backslash-newline in Makefiles.

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] backslash-newline in Makefiles.
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 18:11:20 -0400

Stephen,

On May 27, 2007 5:42 PM you wrote:

> Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:
> > Stephen Wilson <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > | Now on the Axisp branch:
> > |    address@hidden:/home/swilson/axisp
> > |
> > |    commit 68ee822219e707ea366fa877e0a99ae8b45c4dc1
> > |
> > | Remove backslash-newline sequences from single-quoted
> > | strings in makefiles.
> >
> > I may be wrong but believe those are solved problems in
> > Axiom.build-improvements, Axiom.wh-sandbox, and
> > Axiom.gdr-sandbox.
> >
> > It is nice to see them solved again.
>
> I know that.

Of course this is a rather trivial instance and I don't think
anyone means to overly sensitive to the issue but I do think
it would be most curteous to make such remarks at the time of
posting a patch and to refer to such earlier work if at all
possible. It is often unpleasant to see work being re-done
without any attribution.

> I looked first at wh-sandbox and build-improvments to see if
> I could cherry-pick the changes which were required.  This
> appeared to be more work than the rout I took.

What problems did you encounter when trying to cherry-pick?

> It is not one of my priorities to merge build-improvments or
> wh-sandbox with silver.

Given the current fractious sitation, I think we need to guard
against making it worse. It is Tim's stated intention to continue
to merge build-improvements into Silver.