Re: [Aldor-l] [Axiom-developer] "has" and "with" (was curious algebrafai

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Aldor-l] [Axiom-developer] "has" and "with" (was curious algebrafailure)
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 01:35:08 +0200

On 08/14/2007 11:10 PM, Bill Page wrote:
On 8/14/07, William Sit wrote:
For me, translating Spad code accepted by the Axiom interpreter into Spad code
accepted by the compiler is a pain. Either require explicit coercions and calls
in
both the compiler and interpreter, or provide the SAME verifiable/selectable
assistance in both cases.

William, you should really try to experience how it is to program in Aldor. Sure you will feel some pain in the beginning, but that will not last long. You will love the clarity.

I am inclined to agree. To me this means both, making coercions is
Spad more explicit (Like Aldor with only a few well know and
frequently used automatic coercions), and creating a version of the
Axiom interpreter that is equally strict. That said, of course a
strick interpreter might be viewed by some as more painful for the
user, so then there would be even more reason to create an alternate
single-typed (not type-free!) user interface language like BNatural.

Right, that would be my path, too. Interpreter and compiler language are identical and identically strict. No auto-coercions.

But what is now called "Axiom Interpreter" is not that what I meant here. I rather used "interpreter" in the sense of PASCAL interpreter vs. PASCAL compiler.

The Axiom Interpreter should be replaced by something like BNatural. But here again, it will happen that programs that are written using BNatural, cannot easily be translated into pure library code suitable for the compiler, since BNatural would be designed to do a lot of guessing in order to assist the user. If in BNatural you use something like "Expression Integer" you would not want to use that for an actual library code. Library code should be clean and make the experiments and experiences that are gained with BNatural into clear algorithms over well defined domains.

Note that when you switch from "experiment" (=BNatural framework) to writing it down in a library, you have to come up with a good documentation anyway. Of course, I would not like to see a documentation of *your experimental code*, I would only accept if you tell me the theorems, definitions, motivations, etc. And if you do that, sure you rewrite your original BNatural experiment. You cannot expect that it will be painless to implement library code from fuzzy experimental code. (Experimental) Code that "just works" is not enough.

Ralf