Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Some code, if you are interested.

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Some code, if you are interested.
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 14:38:59 -0400

root <address@hidden> writes:
> I'm finally free of the constraints for a bit. I will look at what
> you sent in detail.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

I submitted a project proposal to the Savannah folks but it may take time to
process.  Main effort at the moment is to get a general overview/tutorial
written.  The code needs to be cleaned up a lot, and documentation merged as the
basic structure is starting to settle down.

> Have you looked at clojure? I was very skeptical of this lisp-on-jvm but he
> makes some very good points about scaling on multiple processors.  I think
> this topic will become important in future CAS systems and he seems to have
> spent a good deal of time on that subject.  I strongly recommend reviewing the
> clojure for lisp videos by Bill Hickey. I think he has some fundamentally
> useful ideas for exploiting parallelism which

No, I have not looked at the system in any detail.  From what I recall it is
based on software transactional memory.

But never have I used systems like this for any real work, and cannot claim any
deep understanding.  There seems to be a lot of work going on in this area.

I was going to write down a few more thoughts but should probably wait until I
am more informed on STM.  My initial feeling is that both traditional threads
(locks, condition variables) and STM could/should be made available.

Steve