[Axiom-developer] Re: OpenAxiom-1.2.1 released

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: OpenAxiom-1.2.1 released
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 12:38:17 -0500

> As I understand it, you could easily prevent forking by pushing Axiom to
> user more actively, it could have the functionality of OpenAxiom or FriCAS,
> but it has lost the momentum. From user point of view the confusion is
> of no importance as long as one of fors works and another one does not.

Aleksej,

As I understand it, one fundamental difference between OpenAxiom and Axiom
lies in the project goals related to the boot language. Approximately half
of the Axiom internals is written directly in common lisp. The other half
is written in a "syntactic sugar language", called boot, which compiles to
common lisp.

The Axiom project had, since it was released as open source, the
stated goal of removing the boot language code. Indeed, this was a
goal I had while working on Axiom before it was ever released from IBM
in the late 80s.

The OpenAxiom project has the exact opposite goal of writing everything
in boot and developing boot as a language.

Given that the goals of OpenAxiom are directly opposed to the stated
project goals of Axiom, how do you see that this difference should be
resolved?