axiom-mail

RE: [Axiom-mail] Using eval() in compile spad code.

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-mail] Using eval() in compile spad code.
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:59:58 -0500

On Monday, March 13, 2006 4:50 PM Donald J Bindner wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 05:21:25PM -0500, Bill Page wrote:
> > 'eval(func, kernel(x), b::EF)' on the other hand seems more
> > specific to your intended application. So I think it is
> > "better" even though the effect is the same.
>
> In the end, I decided on my version (or something similar) as
> better.  I used the obvious metric for a numerical algorithm,
> for the same result it was faster.

Interesting. Sounds good to me.

> Short of checking my reference books for one error estimate,
> I am now content with my versions of Simpson's method for
> 1 and 2 variables.
>
> Having looked at the Simpson's method routine that comes with
> Axiom, I expect it to be faster, but the convenience of using
> integrate() like syntax is a plus for me.  Of course, because
> of operator overloading, I get to have both.

If you are willing, I think it would be useful and instructive
to add your version of Simpson's method to the Axiom Wiki web
site.

> I really appreciate the help.

Not at all ... but of course we are always looking for people
willing to contribute their expertise to other new users
of Axiom. I look forward to hearing more about how you are
using Axiom.

Regards,
Bill Page.