bibledit-general

[be] Re: nightly builds

From: oreo
Subject: [be] Re: nightly builds
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 09:22:13 -0500

Teus,

Yesterday, your first instruction for "git clone" seemed to work. Stuff was downloaded. The only thing that I did a little strange was that I used my old build directory for a starting point. But it seemed to work.

But today, in my saved bibledit directory, I tried your second set of instructions, beginning with "git reset --hard" and "git pull." The terminal answered for both "Fatal: not a git repository" and for the second command there was also another message, "Failed to find a valid git directory."

Phil

In order to get the most recent code, do the following in a terminal.

git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/bibledit

The above command clones the code repository to your local disk. It will create a directory called "bibledit". Go into that directory, and do the normal "./configure", "make", "sudo make install" sequence, as is described for installing bibledit.

Note 1. To save bandwidth, it is recommended to leave the directory "bibledit", created above, as it is. If that directory is left there, then next time there is no need to clone the whole repository. Just pulling the changes is enough:

cd bibledit
git reset --hard
git pull
./configure
make
sudo make install

Formerly if anybody wished to run what was then called nightly builds needed to download the full build each time. The current method saves a lot of bandwidth, because it downloads the changes only, and these changes are usually small.

Note 2. For best results close Bibledit while installing the new version.

oreo wrote:
Teus,

Are you not sharing the nightly builds anymore?
Or are the builds just going to the Savanah Project page and not being labeled?
(I just downloaded 3.2 with today's date.)

Thanks,
Phil

--
/home/Dakom/desktop/signature.html