bibledit-general

Re: [be] How to restore incremental backups to a master file?

From: Wolfgang Stradner E
Subject: Re: [be] How to restore incremental backups to a master file?
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 17:15:24 +0200

Done: Savannah: #8194 <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/index.php?8194>

Teus Benschop wrote:
Hi Wolfgang,

Right now there is no automated way of restoring all the incremental backups back into the master project.

A good way of manually restoring these is as follows:

Unpack 0.zip into a directory.
Then in sequence, starting from the oldest and working towards the newest zipped backup, unpack and import these one by one. Each iteration will give some files in that directory. These can be imported using the normal import routine, except that this time the option "Overwrite" should be ticked, so that the chapters will overwrite the existing ones already in the backup.

Hope this helps.

If you'd like to have a more automated way of importing, which seems desirable, then pls. open a task on Savannah.

Regards,

Teus.

Wolfgang Stradner E wrote:
Hi Teus,

I am learning to use 'Incremental (Backup)' in BE.
I like the elegant way with the backup.html file displayed in the default html browser with - the filename giving the information of backup-kind/dates-times/project and
- the link to view all available backups.
Great.

What I have problems with is to find out: 'How to restore incremental backups to a master file?'

*Features*: The feature 'Incremental' is described in BE/Help/Backup dialog: _To automatically backup the changes since the last backup, no worries and no bother, you can use File / Project / Backup / Incremental_.
Checking out the results of those backups I found:
- Only the chapter which have changed since the last of any of the three backups are saved
- They are saved in arbitrary order.

*Situation*: Working in project A on 1JN:
- day 0: full backup: creates 0.zip
- day 1: changes on chapter 2, 4. Incremental creates a 0-1.zip containing the 1John.usfm (only chapters 0,4,2, or 0,2,4 ) - day 2: changes on chapter 1,3,5. Incremental creates a 1-2.zip containing the 1John.usfm (only chapters 0,1,3,5 or ...) - day 3: changes on chapter 0,2, 5. Incremental creates a 2-3.zip containing the 1John.usfm (only chapters 0,2,5 or ...)

*Question*: What is the practical way to 'recreate' of all the incremental backups the original 1JN file again? I did not find any restore tool (like it exists in Paratext and Translation Editor)
Do I have to:
- open all the zip files of the projet A, checking if they contain any 1John.usfm file? - then open all those 1John.usfm files and make a search for chapter numbers to see, which they contain? In the situation above, I would have to open 1.zip, 2.zip, 3.zip to find out that chapter 4 has have changes, and copy the chapter 4 into my 1John.usfm master file