bibledit-general

[be] How to restore incremental backups to a master file?

From: Wolfgang Stradner E
Subject: [be] How to restore incremental backups to a master file?
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 17:20:11 +0200

Hi Teus,

I am learning to use 'Incremental (Backup)' in BE.
I like the elegant way with the backup.html file displayed in the default html browser with
- the filename giving the information of backup-kind/dates-times/project and
- the link to view all available backups.
Great.

What I have problems with is to find out: 'How to restore incremental backups to a master file?'

Features: The feature 'Incremental' is described in BE/Help/Backup dialog: To automatically backup the changes since the last backup, no worries and no bother, you can use File / Project / Backup / Incremental.
Checking out the results of those backups I found:
- Only the chapter which have changed since the last of any of the three backups are saved
- They are saved in arbitrary order.

Situation: Working in project A on 1JN:
- day 0: full backup: creates 0.zip
- day 1: changes on chapter 2, 4. Incremental creates a 0-1.zip containing the 1John.usfm (only chapters 0,4,2, or 0,2,4 )
- day 2: changes on chapter 1,3,5. Incremental creates a 1-2.zip containing the 1John.usfm (only chapters 0,1,3,5 or ...)
- day 3: changes on chapter 0,2, 5. Incremental creates a 2-3.zip containing the 1John.usfm (only chapters 0,2,5 or ...)

Question: What is the practical way to 'recreate' of all the incremental backups the original 1JN file again?
I did not find any restore tool (like it exists in Paratext and Translation Editor)
Do I have to:
- open all the zip files of the projet A, checking if they contain any 1John.usfm file?
- then open all those 1John.usfm files and make a search for chapter numbers to see, which they contain?
In the situation above, I would have to open 1.zip, 2.zip, 3.zip to find out that chapter 4 has have changes, and copy the chapter 4 into my 1John.usfm master file