biborb-general

Re: [Biborb-general] Evolution of BibORB

From: Adrian P. Ireland
Subject: Re: [Biborb-general] Evolution of BibORB
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 21:38:23 +0100

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 01:16:21AM +0200, Guillaume Gardey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just a short mail to inform you about the current evolution of biborb.
>
> I have updated the BibORB CVS repository. Some functionalities have
> been added:
>       * Entries are highlighted if they are recorded in the basket.
The highlight feature works here. I did have trouble seeing the change
in the icon. Maybe this could be made more obvious. I will look at the
icon and see if I can liven it up and send it to the list for your
opinion.

Another possibility perhaps in addition to the icon would be to change
the highlight colours in the selected articles.
This could be put in your css so you could theme it later if you wanted.

>       * Adding an entry to the basket or removing it doesn't redirect to
> another page.
> I also fix a bug when searching a word containing accent: I made the
> search function case insensitive and accent insensitive.
>

> The major change are in the code itself. It was rewritten for a greater
> modularity/readability. A long term aim is to be able to change the
> database backend with minor changes. Thus one may choose the database
> format (XML,mysql,....) or write some minor php scripts to plug BibOrb
> to an existing database.
>
> For now, the CVS version is not totally ready for a stable release. At
> a short term, I will focus on:
>       * support various import/export format (Endnote, docbook...)
>       * increase the search functions
>       * an HTML cache to speed the display.
Import/Export is nice but there are some things out there that already
do this as far as I know. Why re-invent the wheel unless you think it is
essential.

> Any suggestions will be welcomed. :)
I would like to see the search part improved rather than import/export
to endnote etc - but I dont use endnote :-).

If you search for something that is not there, it just seems to do
nothing instead of saying

``Sorry I could not find that, please go back and try something else.''

Perhaps a sort option
        - By year
        - Alpha By author
        - Alpha by title