certi-devel

Re: [certi-dev] The role of colon in PrettyDebug

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] The role of colon in PrettyDebug
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 12:23:31 +0200

2009/5/28 Gotthard, Petr <address@hidden>:
> Eric,
>

> BTW: what’s the role of the colon in PrettyDebug environment variables? My
> understanding is that strings “CD”, “DC”, “C:D” and “D:C” are equivalent.
> Right? I guess the “:” was meant for intervals like “A:Z”, but I found no
> implementation of this feature.

I don't really know ....

In fact I do dislike  the PrettyDebug thing.
Jean-Loup is working on a revamped logging interface to be used with CERTI,
much like java.logging.

The idea behind this would be to be:

1) to be able to easily control debug/log output using a CERTI
configuration file
   with a default builtin behavior

2) to have multiple output format with at least one XML format which
may parsed  easily
    for displaying with GUI tools. The other advantage with structured
log output
    would be to be able to (time-)merge local log files of each
federate in order
    to rebuild a timely federation-wide sequence of message.
    Shoud be reasonably done if we have to mean to have a global time reference
    (or a rebuilt global time reference) after the run.

He is not near the end of the work, but that would definitely ease the
understanding of CERTI internals
and would help developpers to help users if they can gives us valuable traces.

--
Erk