certi-devel

Re: [certi-dev] CERTI performance issue

From: Pierre Siron
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] CERTI performance issue
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 11:34:04 +0200

Eric Noulard a écrit :
> 2009/5/29 Michael Raab <address@hidden>:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> some more information from our side:
>>

>>> How long does this simulation run (elapse time)?
>>>
>> approx. 1200 s
>>

>>>  3 federates: are they all tree time regulating and time constrained?
>>>
>> Yes!
>>

>>>  Elapsed (Wall Clock) Time :
>>>
>> What do you mean? We have no real time application like a flight simulator.
>> We're using CERTI to connect some discrete event simulation systems,
>> in this case three instances of SLX ( FYI http://www.wolverinesoftware.com/
>> ).
>>

> Elapse Time you may read on the Wall Clock during your simulation run.
> That's  your 1200s.
>
> That said, you have something like 158687 NULL message sent fro Fed2
> which makes 158687/1200 =  132+ message per second.
> This is really too much NULL messages.
>
> However this may be due to the time creep problem, I let Pierre
> explain that for us.

Hello,
thank you for this task Eric,
the time creep problem is well illustrated in this tutorial of Richard
Fujimoto :
"Parallel & Distributed Simulation Systems : From Chandy/Misra to the
High Level Architecture and Beyond"
and in his books.

The first generation of time management algorithms suffers of this problem.
If the lookahead is small with regards to the time step of the
nextEventRequest,
a round of NULL messages (and ticks) is required before the
timeAdvanceGrant.
This is probably your case.

For a good efficiency, the lookahead should be as great as possible.

In the second generation, a global LBTS is computed after a global
snapshot of the distributed simulation (which requires other messages).
We have some ideas to add that in CERTI  and  I did not khnow what
the RTI NG has implemented.

Au revoir,
Pierre