Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit

From: j . romildo
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 09:54:35 -0200

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 11:45:35AM +0100, Joerg F. Wittenberger wrote:
> Brandon Van Every wrote:
>
> > Matthew Welland wrote:
> > > I'd suggest going one step further and striving to keep the scheme
> > > portion not too chicken specific. Other schemes would only have to
> > > provide the interface layer and the bulk of the code could be
> > > reused.
> > >

> > From a support and community growth standpoint, I see no value in
> > projects that try to be all things to all Schemes.  Doing things
> > well on Chicken is what's important.  Also, reuse doesn't mean
> > anything without people and interest.
>
> I'm not sure you are right here, Brandon.  The people and interest are
> there.  Just some of them will not jump on the chicken/gui ship when
> it's chicken specific - as they refuse to jump on those other PLT or
> whatever specific ships even though they seriously lack an viable
> alternative.  So adding one more ship will extends the set of options
> I'm *not* taking anyway.  For me this boild down to accepting strange
> restrictions (besides coding R5RS(subset) whenever possible):
> [...]
> End goal: SRFI, not less!
> [...]

I agree with Joerg. Currently I am developing with bigloo and I am
looking for a good GUI library to use with it. As I have used Gtk+
before (in OCaml and C), I am just experimenting how would be a bigloo
interface to gtk. But I do not think I will use bigloo for all of my
Scheme developments. The next project could be in Chicken, for
instance. So common libraries to many scheme implementations are
valuable to me and I think the Scheme community should put efforts to
develop them, when possible.

José Romildo