Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:34:45 -0800

Shawn Rutledge wrote:
On 2/8/07, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:
There are at least 3 camps:

- put OpenGL windows on screen, no widgets.  For game developers who
don't want a bunch of extraneous stuff in their way.  Not much to
discuss about requirements here.  We've got 3 people working on it, and
we all know what we're doing well enough.  We welcome anyone who
actually wants to cut code.

Good.  I plan to use it then.  But is there a feature list, stuff that
you need to add?

I'm not big on frontloaded discussions. I am big on looking at what work people have already done, and I haven't finished that exercise yet.

  It still seems to me that the current opengl egg +
glut egg does quite a bit already, but maybe not enough for text
rendering (which I have not investigated yet).

Glut is an ancient, decrepit, not open source, not modifiable toolkit that must die. There is of course FreeGlut that attempts to remedy that problem, but its development didn't look very active. I don't think we should chase it. I think we should mostly write our own Scheme code. We'll get more people willing to expand various capabilities if we're actually using the language the Scheme developers want to be using.

And you don't want to
change the existing opengl egg's API, right?  (So that code I write
now will still run on future ones?)

No promises. I'm not into gratuitous change for its own sake, but I haven't looked at that egg's design yet, and I know it doesn't support OpenGL 2.0 or the various OpenGL ESes.

Now that Vista has arrived (and people have had Mac OS X
envy for years already), the existing ubiquitous grey widgets are
going to be perceived the same way TK is now, in a year or so.  I'm
not going to start out with slick appearance being the #1 goal, the
way a game developer would; but if we make sure it's possible, then

Crazy Eddie's GUI System http://www.cegui.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Main_Page is worth looking at in this regard. It is a C++ toolkit, skinnable, MIT licensed, and has survived as the preferred GUI of the Ogre3D engine. Ogre3D ain't small potatoes. This means CEGUI has community resources that most open source projects lack. When I say "look at it," I mean for design inspiration, since it's a successful system. I think C++ wrapping projects are currently hard in Chicken, so I've been leery of chasing anyone's C++ development.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every