Re: [Chicken-users] egg documentation

From: Jim Ursetto
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] egg documentation
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:45:16 -0600

I'll also update eggdoc-svnwiki with the new <proc> syntax (or whatever final
form it takes) once that gets put in the wiki.

And in that vein:

The four types of definitions in eggdoc are "procedure",
"macro", "record" and "parameter", with an extra "signature" type which
is used when you want to name a new (uncommon) definition type.

In creating texinfo output, it became necessary to introduce a "read-syntax"
tag as well, to avoid confusing the Scheme expression parser (read) -- the
contents of this are used verbatim rather than running (read) to pick it apart.
(Although it's in eggdoc-texinfo, apparently 'read-syntax' was never added to
eggdoc.  Oops.)

The parser also checks anything using a "signature" type for a name beginning
with "read" -- e.g. read-syntax, read syntax, reader macro -- and avoids
calling (read) on that too.  This allows backwards compatibility with old
eggdocs and allows the author a little naming flexibility.

So ultimately, I think something like the following tags would be useful:

<proc>(string-set! a b)</proc>
<macro>(args:make-option (OPTION-NAME ...) ARG-DATA [BODY])</macro>
<record>hostinfo</record>
<param>eggdoc:doctype</param>
<read>@[object message: value ...]</read>
<signature type="string">doctype:xhtml-1.0-strict</signature>

Names subject to change.  Thoughts?