Re: [Chicken-users] Please do not drop 'thread-terminate!' from the SRFI

From: Vincent Manis
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Please do not drop 'thread-terminate!' from the SRFI 18 impl
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 18:36:20 -0700

On 2008-Aug-10, at 11:31, Elf wrote:

[3]> (car 'foo)

*** - CAR: FOO is not a list

in clisp's implementation. car and cdr did work, though. the NIL is way,
way too overloaded in CL.

I know I said I'd shut up on this topic, but... :-)

On the first Lisp system I used for real programming (Lisp/MTS, a sort of perverted version of Lisp 1.5, running on the MTS operating system circa 1971), (cdr 'symbol) gave you the property list of a symbol. I had done some trivial programs with PDP-8 Lisp a year or so before, and, as I recall, (car 'symbol) gave you the print name (as some datatype that wasn't very useful) and (cdr 'symbol) again gave the property list. (I believe the plist as cdr of a symbol was official Lisp 1.5 behavior.)

The problem with appealing to prior practice in Lisp systems is that there's so much of it, and so much of it that is
contradictory.

On the subject of threads, I would be quite comfortable with a strong warning about the perils of thread-terminate!. I have designed a fair amount of thread-based code over the years, and taught concurrency in industrial settings. I have never found a problem that *required* unscheduled thread termination. Normally I design threads either to terminate when they receive a special marker in their input queue, or to poll for a termination request.

-- v