Re: [Chicken-users] How to do CGI stuffs?

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] How to do CGI stuffs?
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 15:03:26 +0100

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 09:10:56PM -0600, Lam Luu wrote:
> Hello everyone!
> This is the first time I use mailing list, and I hope I have everything
> correct! Please pardon any mistake I make.

Welcome to the lists :)

> Anyway, I am trying to do CGI with Chicken Scheme. I have been trying to
> find an egg or something similar to provide basic facilities such as
> parsing POST and GET arguments and stuffs. So far, I have found only two
> seemingly useful eggs, web-unity and cgi-stream. However, web-unity (at
> least in the documentation page on the wiki) seems to require to have a
> separate load program to load the script, with some more complications.
> On the other hand, I dislike the way cgi-stream doing its work. Other
> related eggs (like FastCGI and stuffs) have lost their documentation
> (When I follow the link from Google, they are all broken).

That's weird. I'm not sure what Google links to, but the Eggs Unlimited 3
page on the wiki points to the correct page:
http://chicken.wiki.br/Eggs%20Unlimited%203

> Is there simple way to do this? I may also want to compile the script
> (since my private server is very very weak) while keep another debuging
> version in source form. I can manage what to throw out myself, just need
> a parser for the stuffs sent by client.

Maybe not very useful for you right this moment, but I'm currently
working on an egg called "intarweb", for Chicken 4. This egg provides
HTTP parsing procedures, which you could use to roll your own CGI parser.

Unfortunately, it's not finished yet. There are some infrastructural
issues I still need to iron out. The work is focused on providing a
good (and I do mean *good*) URI parsing library first.

For the time being, you could run spiffy, optionally behind a proxy
server, because spiffy is probably the quickest and least painful way
to make web applications with Chicken 3.

If you would like to help out with Intarweb, just drop me a note, or
visit the IRC channel.

Cheers,
Peter
--