Re: [Chicken-users] [wish list] chicken-install: show available eggs, up

From: William Xu
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] [wish list] chicken-install: show available eggs, upgrade all installed eggs?
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 14:58:24 +0000 (UTC)

Felix <felix <at> call-with-current-continuation.org> writes:

> That is possible, but would require a regularly updated "master" document
> somewhere on our server.

Good.. I tend to use chicken-install in a way similar to apt-get in Debian.

> > The other feature is being able to upgrade all installed eggs after, for
> > instance, upgrading chicken.  Then i don't have to reinstall each missing
> > one by one, desperately.
>
> That has been requested repeatedly in the past, but I'm
> sceptical. Bulk updates like that make it extremely easy to break
> everything, unless you have a very rigid control over the stability of
> the currently available extensions.  The egg repository is actually
> pretty good in that regard, but still, broken eggs and broken
> dependencies slip in from time to time. We are quick to fix those, but
> something like a bulk update could easily result in broken
> installations.
>
> For example, I may have several applications that use one or the other
> installed egg. Those eggs may be out of date, but I'm more interested
> in having my system running, so when I install new extensions,
> "chicken-install" will warn me when an egg requires higher versions
> and I have the choice to think twice about whether I want to do that
> or not.
>
> On the other hand, some people like to be up-to-date at every cost, so
> for those a bulk update option might be desirable.
>
> To come to the point: should be possible, but currently not of high
> priority.

I'm not crazy at getting bleeding edge eggs.. However, I do like to upgrade
`chicken' itself whenever a newer release comes out.  Only realize that i have
to find out and reinstall all eggs again. (Because at least all the eggs have to
be recompiled using the new chicken?)

> What editor are you using?

Emacs.  You mentioned in the other mail it has no problem with default setup.  i
think that may be due to my emacs config then, i will check my config.  However,
eliminating use of tabs would still be much better, where the indention will be
the same in all editors.

-William