Re: Classpath future?

From: Jeff Sturm
Subject: Re: Classpath future?
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 06:00:09 -0400 (EDT)

On 12 Jul 2001, Tom Tromey wrote:
> You can do a mostly-precise GC.  In fact the GC in libgcj is mostly
> precise.  We only scan the stack conservatively

and static data, and registers.  (I have a plan to scan data precisely as
well.  The latter is a bit harder.)

>  My understanding is
> that on current 64-bit architectures, a conservative scan is pretty
> unlikely to erroneously maintain much data.

Highly unlikely.  Conservative GC seems a good fit for libgcj, which is
really quite simple throughout (ignoring the compiler).

But these are choices based on design principles.  For instance, Boehm's
collector wouldn't have been a good fit for SableVM with your portability
constraints.

Jeff