Re: Free Java, the sequel

From: C. Brian Jones
Subject: Re: Free Java, the sequel
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 23:59:03 -0500

On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 04:35, Jens Lehmann wrote:
> Chris Gray wrote:
> >

> > This is bizarre.  IBM already has an open source version of Java (JikesVM),
> > but perhaps Rod Smith is not aware of that.
>
> The question is, if IBM is allowed to open source their Java
> implementation.

Their AIX/Linux/etc. JVM is Sun's source code ported to their operating
systems.  In some cases there is no port, the only change is that
instead of using hotspot IBM uses instead their own JIT technology.  The
licensing must be fairly strict, otherwise they would have not purchased
the other clean-room Java implementation that the JikesRVM initially
used before using Classpath.

I'm of the opinion that no one is making a great deal of money off of
the work one puts forth on the core language and libraries.  It's like
spending money on creating a new C compiler when what you really want to
do is build a wireless router.  That is sort of how I became involved
with Classpath actually.  I wanted to use Java but at every turn I was
greeted with bugs and problems I was not allowed to fix, and even if I
did I couldn't give my friends those fixes so my applications would work
on their systems.

Brian