Re: building without gtk

From: Steven Augart
Subject: Re: building without gtk
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 01:24:24 -0400

Mark Wielaard wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 21:32, Michael Koch wrote:
I think we should make it enabled by default if gtk+ gets found, and disable otherwise. We will still be able to disable it. That's not hard to do.

No, we should not silently give the user a crippled AWT.
This makes sense, in general. However, it would be really really nice if the version checks happened first. It would be even nicer if several version checks were performed, so that the user gets all of the complaints at once. When I was having trouble with this, it was annoying having a bunch of checks succeed only then to find out I had the wrong version of package Z, then to rerun, wait, and find that I had the wrong version of package Y, etc.

I finally started building on AIX with --disable-gtk-peer, but it wasted a fair amount of time. For some reason that I do not understand, Classpath's configure script runs really slowly on a new-ish 64-bit PPC AIX machine -- several times slower than it does on the laptop I'm typing this on (Pentium III/1.1 GHz, Linux).

--Steven Augart