Re: compiling Classpath on cigwin/win

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: compiling Classpath on cigwin/win
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:52:47 -0800

On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 05:44:29PM +0100, Enrico Migliore wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to compile Classpath on Cygwin and I took
> the following steps:
>
> 1. Downloaded and installed Cygwin 1.5.18 on Win2k
>
> 2. Installed from Cygwin the following binaries:
>            GCC(the full suite: gcc-core, gcc-g++,...)
>             make
>             autoconf
>             automake
>             libtool
> 3. Downloaded the source tree of jikes 1.22 from Sourceforge
>
> 4. Applied the patch suggested by Delibor topic:
>

> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1202863&group_id=128803&atid=712760
>

>    (basically I have to comment out a few lines of code)
>
> 6. Then I ran:
>                ./configure
>                make
>                make install
>                make clean
>
> 7. Then I downloaded GNU/Classpath-0.19 from classpath.org
>
> 8. I ran:
>                 ./configure --with-jikes --disable-gtk-peer
>                 make
>
> 9. the ./configure utility printed the jikes command line and started
> compiling
>
> (I had to disable gtk-peer because for some reason the configure utility
> says "X is not installed"... even though X is installed through Cygwin...
> I'm sure X is running because I got the excellent DDD debugger which
> is a Windows based program, working on my Win2k)

that could indicate a bug in the configure.ac code for X detection.

> The problem is that the Classpath compilation process started this
> morning at 8:00 and, at 5 p.m., hasn't finished it.
>
> The machine I'm using is a:
>
> CPU: Intel @ 3GHz
> RAM: 192 MBytes
> OS: WinXP
> case: Laptop
>
> Is it reasonable a compilation time that long?

yes. it is probably swapping itself to death.

I can build kaffe's copy of classpath (which adds a ton of more files,
including gnu crypto) on a box with 1gb in less then a minute (p4 3ghz,
latest cygwin, win xp, etc.).

Jikes is not superbly memory efficient. Afair, neither is gcjx or ecj.
Building Kaffe's copy of the class libs takes more than 180M of memory,
so (since I've got a p3-650/192M notebook :) I am building on more
potent machines.

cheers,
dalibor topic