classpathx-javamail

Re: [Classpathx-javamail] Rework of mbox provider

From: Countach
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-javamail] Rework of mbox provider
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:06:18 +1000

In which case it is not the same store.

If I access the exact same "store" both on a local Unix machine, and also via a Windows machine over a Samba mount, why is it not the same "store"?

No good. The getURLName function returns the absolute pathname of the mbox where it happens to be mounted on this particular machine at this particular time. The getFullName function on the other hand is meant to return the name of the folder RELATIVE to the root of the hierarchy. This is the string that could be potentially be platform independent if it was so designed.

You're partially right, but getURLName should also yield a pathname relative to the root of the hierarchy. Neither of these is currently the case with the mbox folder, but I will correct both.

I don't think this is correct. If you look at the Java code for the Folder class, you can see that the URL returned is very clearly an absolute URL, not a relative URL. In fact, I'm not even sure if the URLName class supports constructing relative URLs according to the RFC 1808 standard. Relative URLs aren't even really URLs as such.