cons-discuss

Re: Fwd: Suggestion about derived files and commands

From: Wayne Scott
Subject: Re: Fwd: Suggestion about derived files and commands
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 09:40:31 -0700

From: Doug Warner x81804 <address@hidden>
> Make also checks out new versions, even if the file exists locally.  At least
> for RCS and SCCS, adding the notion of a locked source file to CONS would
> work.  That might also work for CVS, but I'm not very familiar with CVS.  SCCS
> itself only checks the permissions -- if it's writable, trust the programmer
> and overlook it.  :-)

CVS is a non-issue.  It always has all files checked out in an
editable state.  This is why most people don't care, because most
people use CVS.

Personally I don't like make to checkout new versions. The build tool
should build the what the configuration tool presents.  If a file is
present, then use it.  If not then ask for the correct version.

We could add a rule to cons that acts like this:

# If the target is present and writable ignore this rule, otherwise
# use it.
sub cons::Checkout_Command {
    my($env) = shift;
    my($tgt) = $_[0];

    if (! -w $tgt) {
       $env->Command(@_);
    }
}

Checkout_Command $CONS "file.c", "RCS/file.c,v", "co %>";

Would that work?  I don't have time to try right now.

-Wayne