cons-discuss

Re: patch for static linking

From: Brad Garcia
Subject: Re: patch for static linking
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 10:30:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Steven Knight wrote:

> Aha.  Okay, then I'll suggest that, rather than making it tool-specific,
> we add some construction variables to make the options settable:
>
>       new cons(DYNAMIC_ONLY_LIB_FLAGS => ['-Wl,-Bdynamic',
>                                       '-Wl,-dy',
>                                       '-Wl,-call_shared'],
>                STATIC_ONLY_LIB_FLAGS => ['-Wl,-Bstatic',
>                                       '-WL,-static',
>                                       '-Wl,-dn',
>                                       '-Wl,-non_shared']);

I like that suggestion, with the caveat that DYNAMIC_ONLY_LIB_FLAGS
should be renamed to DYNAMIC_AND_STATIC_LIB_FLAGS.

> I'm just really leery about tool-specific stuff in the guts of Cons.
> As much as possible, I think we should do stuff through setting (and
> therefore creating) appropriate construction variables...

Yet another argument for modularizing cons.

We could have a "gnu-tools" module which defines these variables
as stated above.  But can other build tools make use of this patch?
Can the oft-neglected windows users please chime in?

So, who's got time to modularize cons?  ;^)

Cons already has its default environment seeded with unix-specific
(maybe gnu-specific) values, so for now I think it's acceptable
to use gnu-tool default values for these environment variables.

But, I'll let the maintainers decide what they want to do.

Brad Garcia