ddd

GDB under DDD

From: O'Neal, Tom
Subject: GDB under DDD
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:19:51 -0500

Hi, GNU

I'm trying to use GDB under DDD on an IBM platform (AIX, OS level 4.3.3.0).
When I try to select my executable with the "file" command, I get "illegal
instruction" and a core dump. My executable was built using the native IBM
compiler (not gcc). Any suggestions? It is OK to use a compiler other than
gcc, right?

I'm trying GDB, rather than DBX, because DDD seems to provide better
inherent support for GDB, especially with threads and signals. Is that true?

I am using version 4.18 of GDB, configured as "powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0."

My application is written in C (not C++). It is a VERY BIG application with
thousands of symbols. The IBM linker warns that it is having to build an
overflow area and "extra instructions" to handle all my symbols. Maybe
that's a clue to the "illegal instruction" message I get when I try to
access my executable.

Thanks for your help.

Thomas W. O'Neal