ddd

Re: DDD-3.3 and vxWorks [SOLVED PARTIALLY]

From: Shash Chatterjee
Subject: Re: DDD-3.3 and vxWorks [SOLVED PARTIALLY]
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 15:51:24 -0500

OK...since nobody replied....either this was a really dumb question or not many on this list know.....

So...to attach to a vxWorks task, on the gdb console do "tcl activeTaskNameMap" and then do "attach 0xXXXXXX" (where XXXXXX is as returned for the task to be debugged as returned by the previous command)". You can automate this partially by defining the following resource:

Ddd*consoleButtons: \
  tcl activeTaskNameMap // VxWorks Task List

I am considering changing the DDD source in file.C (gdbUpdateProcesses(...) or update_processes(...) to make them vxWorks aware and instead of sending a "ps" command to the Unix shell, do a command to the inferior debugger. But more when I have time.....any pointers as to how to write-to/read-from the inferior debugger most welcome!

Shash

Shash Chatterjee wrote:

Hi!

I am trying to use DDD with Tornado/vxWorks. So far I have been able to integrate it into the launcher using the supplied instructions and am able to connect to the target, load a file/function, set a breakpoint and run it. The main_vxworks function was not automatically detected. However, i could do a "file main_vxworks", set a breakpoint in the UI and then a "run main_vxworks".

The manual says only vxworks PowerPC is supported, I am using vxWorks/ARM. I started ddd as:
/projERL/bin/ddd --debugger gdbarm
Is there something I need to do besides this to "inform" ddd to make it vxworks aware?
I built ddd with simply "./configure --prefix=/proj/ERL && make install".

I am looking for some help on a little better integration with vxWorks. For instance, right now "File->Attach" will return a list of Unix porcesses, needs to return a list of vxWorks tasks (the equivalent of the windShell "i" command) and when clicked on a task, to attach to it.

How do I debug a running task/system? Do I put a breakpoint in a function using windShell and when the task breaks come back to DDD and attach to the stopped task? How?

Thanks,
Shash